Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know If I’ve Got A Damp Problem?
Common signs of damp:
- walls feel wet and cold
- watermarks on the ceiling
- moss or mould grows on walls, ceilings or furniture.
The three main kinds of damp:
- rising damp. Moisture moving up through porous materials such as brick;
- penetrating damp. Caused by a problem with the outside of your home, for instance leaking roofs or guttering;
- condensation damp. Hot, heavy air in the atmosphere (from drying clothes on radiators, running hot water etc) settling on a cold surface and forming condensation.
If you do have a damp problem, it can cause damage to the interior of your home and even damage your health. According to the World Health Organisation, you are 75% more likely to suffer respiratory symptoms in a mouldy house.
Consider getting a Timber and Damp Survey from KC Renovation Treatments.
Find out more by getting in touch with us now.
How Do I Know If I’ve Got A Dry Or Wet Rot Problem?
Common symptoms of dry rot:
- timbers turn a brownish colour
- silky sheets or cotton wool-like substance on timber
- fine strands growing through the timber
- damp, musty odour around timber.
Common symptoms of wet rot:
- damp, musty smell around timber;
- discoloured timber;
- softening or cracking timber;
- fungal growth.
Either of these conditions can cause serious damage to a property. If you suspect either is present, consider getting a survey for timber and damp.
Visit our Contact Us page to get in touch and find out more.
How Do I Know If I’ve Got A Woodworm Problem?
Common symptoms include:
- tiny round holes in woodwork
- fine dust around the holes (known as frass).
The woodworm larvae feed on the wood and leave a network of tunnels inside. Left untreated, this can cause serious damage and even cause structural timbers to lose their integrity.
If you think you have a woodworm problem, you can arrange for a Timber and Damp Survey.
Contact Us to find out more, or to arrange a visit.
How Do I Know You’ll Do A Good Job?
We always think it’s the best policy to let our jobs speak for themselves, so why not take a look at our work?
We can also arrange for you to see more photos, and – whenever possible – take you to our completed jobs, so you can see our high standards of workmanship for yourself.
Read testimonials from KC Renovation Treatments customers.